October 1, 2020
Vet techs are vital to our practice teams. They keep the gears turning at our practices, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that, every October, an entire week is dedicated to them.
This National Vet Tech Week (celebrated from 10/11 to 10/17), we’ll be engaging with our practice teams and vet techs on social media by talking about everything from what inspired them to enter the field to what the strangest animal they’ve treated is.
Over the years, we’ve compiled a list of the various ways our practices have celebrated National Vet Tech Week and we want to share them with you.
Here are a few ideas to experiment with at your practice:
Introduce your techs on social media
Ask your clients to help you celebrate your vet techs. Introduce a different tech each day of the week (or all month long) on Facebook and include some fun facts about them.
Some post ideas include:
- The tech’s name
- Selfies or profile pics of your tech with a patient or their own pet
- How long they’ve been working in the veterinary field
- Where they went to school
- What pets they have
- What their interests outside of work are
- A funny anecdote or story about them
You can also call for your clients to give that vet tech a shout-out or ask them to post pictures of any pets they’ve cared for.
Show them some extra special appreciation
Find fun ways to show your vet techs how much you appreciate them. Throw a big party to celebrate National Vet Tech Week or celebrate in small ways throughout the entire week:
Food is a great way to show appreciation. There’s pizza, a hot dog bar, ice cream sundaes, a breakfast buffet, healthy snacks, and more. The list is truly endless.
- Give your techs goodie bags filled with treats, stress busters, hand sanitizer, and gift cards.
- Get festive and decorate your practice with balloons and streamers.
- Come up with superlatives for your techs (ex. most likely to bring home an animal in need, most likely to lend a hand when needed) and hand them out.
- Create a video or slideshow highlighting your techs and share it on social media (free apps such as Animoto, InShot, and iMovie make this super easy).
- Order customized fleeces with your practice’s logo on them. As curbside care stretches on into the winter months, fleeces will keep your techs nice and toasty.
- Bring the outdoors inside by gifting each of your techs a small plant.
- Buy them some new tools, like vet tech packs from Securos.
- Show your appreciation for each other by participating in Secret Tech (similar to Secret Santa).
- Promote wellbeing and give your techs some time to recharge by hiring a yoga instructor to guide your team through a relaxation/music hour.
- Knock their socks off with a cozy pair of compression socks.
- Write personalized thank you cards; it’s simple but heartfelt.
- Keep your tech team hydrated by giving out travel mugs or water bottles.
- Leave notes of encouragement for your techs throughout your practice.
Whatever you decide to do, share your pictures on social media. You’ll be able to get your clients involved and give them a better sense of what goes on behind the scenes at your practice - all while celebrating your veterinary technicians for all their hard work.